Working with kids keeps me young in mind and body. Youth inspire me.

I am often asked about how I relate to kids. How do I communicate with them? How do I get them to listen? I'm sometimes told how youthful I look (I'm pre-geezer status). People wonder how I keep my patience with kids. What many fail to see is that, its all related. The kids keep me youthful. 

The truth is, being around kids is easier than it looks. More than that, being around kids keeps me youthful in mind and body. My mind stays playful. Seeing how kids think, play, communicate with one another, compete, laugh, eat- everything a child does is a lesson (if you are paying attention). Next tiume you are feeling out of shape or out of touch with the youth, go talk to some kids. Play a game of chess, swing on a sing, kick a ball around, allow yourself to laugh from a true place. You will feel better and get fit fast- I promise. 



                                This youngster is legally blind, but he has love and skill for chess. This was
                                 taken shortly before the end of the days camp. I'm hoping to get him to
                                take judo at Willy Cahill or SJ State. This kids got it.
One of our HHCF volunteer mentors playing as student looks on. 

                                Because of donations by local community members, rap artists and others
                                HHCF was able to scholarship kids like these two for HHCF Live
                                The Game Summer Camp.
                                Both loved the game of chess and took quickly to learning the fundamentals.
                                We are thankful to them and others who make chess possible
                                for HHCF kids across The Bay Area. San Jose has a huge problem with youth                                             violence and we are trying to be part of the solution.

Popular Posts