Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Chess Icon Josh Waitzkin on The Art of Learning


Lawrence Fishburne in Searching for Bobby Fischer

In 1993, a film featuring Joe Mantegna, Joan Allen and Lawrence Fishburne called Searching for Bobby Fischer dropped and brought the story of a young chess genius named Josh Waitzkin. Josh Waitzkin is arguably the biggest American chess icon since the reclusive Bobby Fischer disappeared into the fog.

However, after the movie came out, a young Josh Waitzkin was turned off from the chess community. His life journey took him to Slovenia , Brazil and other lands in search of his true self. After becoming a two time world champion in Tai Chi he authored a book called The Art of Learning.

I highly recommend The Art of Learning to everyone on the planet. If you are a young person over the age of 13- you need this book. If you are a parent who is dedicated to the authentic enlightenment of your child- you need this book!

It has changed the way I approach my children in regards to learning, loving and pursuing self perfection. I caught up with Mr. Waitzkin recently and our conversation is below.

AB: You new book The Art of Learning is insightful beyond words. It covers your journey through chess and into martial arts. Who did you write this book for?

JW: Thank you, man. I wrote this book to be true--I can't say I had a specific audience in mind other than thoughtful human beings. It's been an interesting road. Some fantastic highs, some brutal lows, countless lessons along the way. I have fallen into quite a few pitfalls over the years and hopefully the book will help others avoid them. I believe I've also figured out some creative ways to unchain the learning process. It was my ambition to tell a raw, honest story and to create a framework, a solid foundation from which people can launch into the pursuit of Quality in a highly personalized manner. This is not a book for people looking for a cookie cutter mold. I don't believe in easy answers to complex questions. We all have our unique paths. This book is the story of mine. I hope it has broad application.


The Real Josh Waitzkin refining body and mind

AB: You have a fantastic way of describing your emotions and you are a great story teller. A lot of chess books can be boring. Yours reads like a action movie. How did you develop that gift?

JW: That's a great compliment--means a lot to me. Well, my father is a wonderful writer and he's been teaching me his art since I was a young boy. He always taught me to dig into the heart of the story. To speak from the essence, the core. And never to write about what I don't know deeply. I made the decision early that if I was going to write this book it would come from the heart. The years that inspired TAOL were the first few years of my martial arts training, when I was experiencing the translation of all my chess knowledge into a physical discipline. Everything was about hidden connections that emerged when you plunged deep into the moment. I tried to write the book in that manner. I tried to dig deep.

AB: Many people still dream of you coming back to chess, getting your Grandmaster status and taking out the planet? Is there any chance that'll ever happen?

JW: Probably not. I'm on another track right now and am very excited about it. But you never know.

AB: I know your main focus is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu now. You just got back from watching the World Championships in Los Angeles . What were some of the things you learned while watching the best of the best on the mat?

JW: It was a beautiful thing-- probably the most exciting sporting event I have ever watched. The art has evolved to such a wildly high level.

For more information on The Art of Learning visit, joshwaitzkin.com

Uproxx Covers HHCF Founder plus, FREE PDF download of Bobby Bruce and the Bronx Available

The book Bobby Bruce & the Bronx by Adisa the Bishop is now available from this day forward FREE in PDF form. Please enjoy it and share ...