Interivew with Dr. Peter Goldman on Benefits of Zone Healing for Martial Artists

Healing the Warrior
By: Adisa Banjoko

As the sport of MMA and the grappling arts continue to spread across the globe, so do the injuries associated with the training. Lucky for us, medical professionals have been creating more innovative ways to help athletes heal. Dr. Peter Goldman, has worked with many MMA and jiu jitsu stars including BJ Penn and the Machado brothers using a technique called Zone Healing. Here we speak with Dr. Goldman about common injuries, solutions and preventative measure you can take to be a healthier grappler.

HHCF: How did you get to become a chiropractor?

PG: I was raised in Brooklyn, NY in a very naturally oriented family as far as health goes. I was getting chiropractic adjustments on a regular basis since I was a little kid and always loved it. At some point, I decided that I really wanted to help people and thought that becoming a chiropractor would be a great way to do that.

HHCF: When did you start working with MMA fighters and what specifically is your approach to helping them heal and perform at optimal levels?

PG: From the beginning, I always had a lot of martial arts clients. Once I helped BJ Penn with his neck, the other top MMA fighters started pouring in. I believe that a fighter with a balanced mind and body has a great chance of staying healthy and performing well, so I try to help fighters achieve balance.

HHCF: What are some of the most common injuries you see from MMA and BJJ practitioners? Also, what preventative measures can these guys take?

PG: Knees, neck, arm, upper back,etc. Being warmed up physically before fighting and training. Having a clear mind and being in the moment during fighting and training.

HHCF: Can you tell me more about the philosophy of Zone Healing?

PG: There are six main systems/zones in the body: glandular, eliminative, nerve, digestive, muscular, and circulatory. It is important for these systems to be balanced. That is on a physical level. On another level, the emotions have a huge effect on the body. Experiences between the ages of birth and about 7 have a big effect on the subconscious mind.

HHCF: Now, I understand you are a martial arts practitioner as well. Tell me about your personal journey in the arts.

PG: I trained directly under Soshu Shigeru Oyama in Manhattan in the early 90's. I achieved a black belt under him and fought for his elite team nationally and internationally on a world class level. I have a brown belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu from John Machado. Currently, I train in Jiu Jitsu, Thai Boxing and a few other arts.

HHCF: Anything to add?

PG: Yes. Patients come to see me from all over the world, so if you are reading this and want to come to San Francisco to work on something with me, feel free to call or email me. SFGOLDMAN.COM has all the contact info.

Popular Posts